Tuesday 17 June 2008

Outfoxed

Firefox 3 debuted today at noon. I pictured a huge crowd of computer geeks lined up with itchy trigger fingers waiting like they were trying to impress their way into Club 54. I do not blame them. I used to be a big fan of Firefox myself. Way back when, it was head and shoulders above internet Explorer. I have written before about how difficult it is to convince me to switch to any new bit of technology, but IE’s constant crashes prompted me to have a go at a new browser.

Things were going swell until a few months ago when random web pages started causing firefox to crash about as often as the IE failures that made me switch browsers to begin with. It seemed to get worse with each subsequent update. I stuck with it anyway in spite of the browser losing much of its original shine.

I even downloaded Firefox 3 earlier and have taken it for a spin. I have yet to see a significant difference between three and two, but I can say I have not suffered a crash—yet. It remains to be seen why I had to download something brand new and whether that reason, should it ever become obvious to me, was worth it.. Stay tuned for further developments

No comments:

Post a Comment